Students explore Figurative Language with an emphasis on metaphors, similes, personification, hyperbole, and idioms.
- Add figurative language using “say” blocks to show the literal and figurative meaning of the text.
- Use motion blocks (like “glide to X Y“), to move their character around the stage and “show” what their figurative language seems to mean versus what it really means.
- Add new object sprites and backdrops to help “show” the meaning of a snippet of figurative language.
- Use event blocks (like “broadcast”) to trigger a series of code.
Computer Science Topics Covered
- Parallelism: The process of events happening at the same time, either independently or interdependently.
- Debugging: The process of identifying and fixing error(s) in a program when it is not functioning as expected.
- Control structures: Sections of code that order the direction or flow of how a program functions. The control structure in this lesson is focused on loops.